I wasn’t quite sure about that photo above. My pants are questionable and my hair isn’t done. I thought about putting on some makeup and having a real picture taken (not one taken by an 8-year-old) so it could scream out … !!PROFESSIONAL!! But, pants and all, I’m putting this one up because it shows perfectly how I feel about what I do … and the people I do it for. And if I’m really being honest with you, there’s only a 25% chance I’m going to show up to a photo shoot with my hair down and done.
I’ve been happily photographing hearts … both big and little ones … since 2007. I’m so glad you’re here.
I photograph families, kids, babies, and high school seniors. Check out my portfolio.
I also photograph weddings in upstate New York and Delaware (and every in between). I’m grateful for auto focus because I cry through every. single. one. I LOVE to travel for weddings. Check out my wedding portfolio.
Here are 30 facts that I just know you’re DYING to find out about me!
1. I was born in Wilmington, DE.
2. My entire life I’ve been a deeply sensitive person. It’s my greatest gift … and hardest struggle.
3. Once I was on the cover of the Delaware New Journal with my dog Bella for having a ridiculously large collection of polyester dresses. DuPont (a Delaware-based company) was celebrating the 50th anniversary of polyester … and I was the cover girl. (When they interviewed me and took the photo, I thought it would be for a Thursday afternoon local section of the paper. Turned out to be front page on Saturday, lol.)
4. One of my stupidest injuries was when I put the back of my ice skate blade entirely through my foot. I was frustrated trying to learn a jump, and I kept falling. I fell back with my legs in the air, and then threw my feet down. Aaaaand made quite a giant mess of things.
5. I love real, fresh, live, delicious FOOOOOOD.
6. But I used to love twinkles, diet soda, fast food, and all things processed.
7. My childhood dream was to become a hairdresser. I went through cosmetology training in my Vo-Tech High school where I learned cuts, colors, perms, and the fact that I actually DO NOT want to be a hair dresser.
8. My first job was in the pro shop at the Ice Arena. I sharpened skates, sold blade covers, and collected smelly sneakers in skate rental.
9. I’ve had the same best friend since I was 13.
10. I eat way too much chocolate. But it’s usually 90%, so that’s ok ; )
11. My strongest stroke when I was on the swim team was fly.
12. For a brief period of time, I had this crazy desire to swim the English Channel. I would train every other day and really thought I’d do it. I never did. And thankfully, that phase has (mostly) passed.
13. I have two brothers.
14. I took piano lessons for a bit when I was young. I hated being told how to play things, so I quit. When I was 16, I decided to start playing again … but this time I taught myself. To this day, the piano is one of my greatest escapes.
15. I love to wander in the woods.
16. Once, I was injured because my brother and I were playing with a wheel chair we’d trash picked (yeah.). We went to the top of a road in our neighborhood, I sat down, and he pushed and let the chair fly down the hill. I had to dump at the end before I reached a busy road because I couldn’t make it stop any other way. I was petrified and was screaming at the top of my lungs “help, help!” as the wheel chair zipped out of control. Our neighbor complained, and I got both hurt … and in trouble.
17. We fished every night in Maine when I was younger.
18. I’m petrified of bats.
19. My original job out of college was technical writing. That’s my degree, actually. But after a year, I switched to marketing writing because I found technical writing to be a ZZZ fest.
20. I fear I’m going to be one of those crazy people that has to be dragged on to a talk show before she’s willing to cut her hair.
21. I watch Little House on the Prairie and secretly wish I was married to Pa. (Although, let’s face it … I’m no Ma!)
22. I don’t have much feeling in my feet. It’s left-over nerve damage from a back injury. Therefore …
23. I trip a lot. Especially in the woods.
24. I desperately want to own a VW van so I can travel with my own hotel.
25. I look exactly like my Grandmother.
26. I lived in Montreal.
27. I love being an Auntie.
28. My favorite ice cream is (currently) GF DF cookie dough. It’s ridiculously good.
29. I’ve eaten six pints of ice cream this summer.
30. My best friend and I broke down on the 87 thruway on our way home from Montreal one year. The tow truck came and towed my green Jetta with us both still sitting in the front seat. Not safe. But a fun memory : )
Enough about me … if you’ve read this far, here’s what I know about YOU!
I know you want beautiful photos. And I know you’re a fun person. And I know you don’t really want traditional, sit-still-and-smile photos. You just want photos that are beautiful … and true. You want photos that tell a story.
People come to me because they want pictures that do more than just capture a smiling face. I will give you that. But what I really want to give you are pictures of true expressions, laughter from deep within, and imagery that has feeling. I want to capture your heart. People tell me over and over again that it’s incredibly stressful getting ready for picture day. I want to help you not worry so much. Come as you guys are … and we’ll play. We’ll have fun. We’ll laugh. And somewhere amid all the giggles, silliness, and everyday being, we’ll capture photos that you’ll treasure forever.
One of my absolute favorite parts of being a hudson valley portrait and wedding photographer is using the world around me as my studio. I am an on-location photographer … which means I don’t have a studio with static backgrounds. Instead, I come to you! Or we can journey to a local park, lively downtown area, grab ice cream cones with sprinkles, or whatever scenario your heart can dream up so that we can capture images that tell the unique story of you.
If you’re in the market for a wedding photographer, check out my tips on how to choose the right photographer for your wedding.
I serve two main areas: the Hudson Valley, NY and Delaware.
Individuals in Delaware who are looking for a family photographer, newborn photographer, child photographer, wedding photographer, or senior photographer:
I currently book sessions in all of Delaware and the surrounding states, including New Jersey, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. A small travel fee applies for areas that are further than 30 miles from 19711.
Individuals in the Hudson Valley who are looking for a family photographer, newborn photographer, child photographer, wedding photographer, or senior photographer:
I currently book all throughout the Hudson Valley! This is a new(ish) area for me and I absolutely LOVE it! I also book sessions in NYC. Travel fees apply for certain areas.
From time to time, I announce travel sessions! I usually make my way out to San Diego in December or January. I also usually book sessions in Maine … typically in July. I’ll be sure to announce those dates when I have them. Additionally, I hope to add Paris and Florida sessions to the mix : ) Please feel free to inquire about travel sessions for your area. I’m always happy to meet up with people in new and exciting areas of the country (and world!).
Kate Callahan is a portrait photographer specializing in maternity, newborn, child, family, wedding and senior photography. Based out of Newark, DE and Hudson Valley, NY, Kate Callahan Photography serves all of the Hudson Valley, NYC, Delaware (including newark, hockessin, wilmington, and Bear) and parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Hudson Valley family photographer Hudson Valley child photographer Hudson Valley Senior PhotographerDelaware child photographer Delaware family photographer Delaware newborn photographer Delaware senior photographer